Jackson Truck Accident Attorney

Common Trucking Industry Terms

If you were recently involved in a truck accident and plan on filing a claim for compensation, you may encounter many terms that you’re unfamiliar with either while discussing your case with your attorney or doing your own research. At Matt Hardin Law, our legal team knows that these terms can be confusing to first-time truck accident victims, but it’s our goal to make our clients as informed and knowledgeable about their cases as possible.

Read our glossary of common terms below to gain a better understanding of the trucking industry and the types of language you may see when your Jackson truck accident attorney files your claim. If you have additional questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact us. Just dial fill out a free online form today.

Glossary of Trucking Industry Terminology

Some of the common terms used in the trucking industry include:

  • GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)
  • GVWR is used to describe the loaded weight of a particular vehicle. The GVWR of a truck is the main characteristic that is used to determine its classification. Small consumer-level trucks are typically Class 1 and Class 2, while large tractor-trailers are Class 7 and Class 8 and can weigh up to 80,000 pounds.

  • CDL (Commercial driver license)
  • A commercial driver license is required for all commercial truck drivers in the United States who drive trucks with GVWRs of 26,001 pounds or more. These licenses are also required for trucks or vehicles that transport hazardous materials or are designed to carry 16 passengers or more, including the driver. Testing for CDLs includes written examinations and driving tests to make sure the applicant is capable of meeting the demands of driving an oversized vehicle.

  • Haz-mat
  • Haz-mat trucks are those that are designed to carry cargo that is explosive, flammable, poisonous, toxic, or otherwise dangerous to themselves and other motorists or workers. Haz-mat trucks pose big risks for truck drivers and anyone in the surrounding area in the event of an accident, as harmful chemicals may spill out or the truck may catch on fire or even explode. Haz-mat truck drivers require significant training, especially if they also handle the materials that they haul.

  • Owner-operator
  • This terms refers to truck drivers who own their trucks independently and drive for businesses rather than truck drivers who work specifically for a single company. Owner-operators can often make more money than other drivers, but they also face more liability in the event of an accident, as they’re responsible for maintaining all critical components on their trucks.

  • Long-haul and OTR (Over-the-road)
  • These terms describe truck drivers who transport goods across the country without a preset schedule or daily shift. These drivers may be gone home for weeks at a time and may even cross international borders into Mexico or Canada. Due to the time-sensitive nature of their work, these drivers may be more likely than other truck drivers to get behind the wheel while exhausted or sleep-deprived, increasing their risks of being involved in an accident.

These are just a few of the common terms used in the trucking industry. If you were injured in a truck accident caused by the negligence of a truck driver, trucking company, or truck owner, our Jackson truck accident lawyers can build a claim that’s designed to get you the compensation you deserve. We know the ins-and-outs of truck accident laws in Tennessee, and we know what it takes to win. Contact the legal team at Matt Hardin Law today, and get our years of experience on your side.

Client Review

“I'm super pleased with Matt and his whole team. I was hesitant to contact a lawyer after my accident, but I'm so glad I did!”