Woodbury Car Accidents

Consult a Woodbury Lawyer After an Auto Crash

Part of the Nashville Metropolitan Statistical Area, Woodbury is a small city located in Cannon County, Tennessee. It covers about two square miles and has a population of roughly 3,000 residents. State-protected areas in its vicinity include the Headwaters Wildlife Management Area and Short Mountain State Natural Area. Cannon County was named for Newton Cannon, a former governor of Tennessee. If you have been harmed near the Woodbury area in an auto crash caused by someone else’s carelessness, you should seek guidance from knowledgeable attorney Matt Hardin. As a Woodbury car accident lawyer, he is familiar with all types of personal injury claims, such as car, truck, and motorcycle wrecks, as well as wrongful death, medical malpractice, slip and falls, and defective products.

Seek Damages for Your Injuries Through a Negligence Claim

An accident victim who is successful in a negligence lawsuit will have shown four key elements: duty, breach of duty, actual and proximate causation, and damages. The failure to prove these elements by a preponderance of the evidence typically prevents an injured person from getting compensation for his or her harm. That said, most car accident cases are resolved before a jury trial through negotiations with the defendant’s insurer or defense attorney, mediations, arbitrations, or motions before a judge. The defense attorney or insurer will try to exploit any scrap of evidence suggesting that an accident was partly or wholly your fault. Therefore, it is not prudent to discuss the case with them before you consult with your own Woodbury attorney after a car accident.

Tennessee is a comparative negligence state. This means that a party will only be responsible for his or her share of the damages arising from a crash. A victim is barred from recovering anything if he or she is deemed to be 50% or more at fault for an accident. An injured person who is 49% or less responsible may be able to receive a compensation award proportional to the percentage of fault assigned to any defendants held liable. When multiple parties are found to have been negligent, the jury will apportion fault among the responsible parties. Each defendant will only be responsible for the percentage of damages for which he or she was found to be at fault.

For example, a driver might brake suddenly because he or she wanted to look at a roadside wreck. If that person is rear-ended by a second motorist and pushed into the side of your car, you might consider suing both of those individuals for negligence, and a Woodbury car accident attorney can represent you. Suppose that the jury sets the damages at $100,000, while allocating 25% of the liability to the first driver and the remaining 75% to the second driver. You might be able to recover up to $25,000 from the first driver and up to $75,000 from the second driver. However, if you were speeding, the defendants may convince the jury that you were partly responsible. It might allocate 30% of the responsibility for the accident to you, 20% to the first driver, and 50% to the second driver. In that situation, you could collect up to $20,000 from the first driver and up to $50,000 from the second driver.

Explore Your Options After a Car Accident with a Woodbury Attorney

Woodbury residents who have been hurt in a car accident may suffer serious harm that affects the rest of their lives. If you are injured because of another driver’s negligence, tenacious lawyer Matt Hardin can help you assert your right to compensation. Among the damages you may be able to recover are your medical bills, lost wages, cost of household services, mental anguish, and pain and suffering. In rare, particularly egregious cases, punitive damages may also be available. Consult Matt Hardin by calling 615-200-1111 or filling out our online form, even if you are not sure whether you have a claim.

Client Review

“I'm super pleased with Matt and his whole team. I was hesitant to contact a lawyer after my accident, but I'm so glad I did!”